Will White Vinegar Harm My Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will White Vinegar Harm My Plants

I found some fungus gnats flying around my plants, so I hastily sprayed the surface soil and the plants with a solution of white vinegar/water/Dawn dish soap. Right afterward, I read that white vinegar (I didn't have apple cider vinegar) can kill the plant, so I hurried up and sprayed them pretty heavily with water. I also buried potato slices in the soil as I read that will kill any larvae.

Will this vinegar incident hurt my plants?

Hope someone can help you with this hopefully they all turn out fine too i would really like to know if its good or bad though

Comment

Hey,
      Not a pro here, first time grower, so I just share what I read somewhere else:
      Vinegar shouldn't be a problem since you sprayed water right after... It should have washed it off... I hope. Let me know, i'm curious
      Don't bury the potato! I think it's meant for the gnats to put their eggs in it, they love such stuff, then every couple of days you throw it out, far far away. replace it with another half potato. Again till no gnats remains, because you stole their babies As in bury it halfway, let it be accessible for you to find, catch and throw out easily.
      You don't have to dig up the potatoes already in the ground, but it might be better, if you want to avoid them sprouting haha!
      Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

I use white vinegar to kill Thistles in my yard. I think your plants are pretty much doomed.

Comment

• St.buds
          St.buds commented
          Editing a comment
          How long is it tell the plant normally starts to die after spraying vinegar? I use roundup and it take a day or two for the plant to start dying off

shit when i think about it.. i used to use vinegar and water to kill weeds in yard x.x might be right ^^

Comment

Hey Morlane ,i agree with Kingfish thats horrible shit to be spraying on your plants. It will absolutely burn all the green up. Because like Kingfish I have also used it before, it will burn all the green up ,but the same weeds were back next year ,must not have killed the roots. I sure hope you got it off in time ,you will just have to wait an see . Good Luck
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Well it's hours later now and it does not appear that my plants are showing any ill effect so far. I'll spray more water on them to rinse soon, and then again at night.

Minoo96: Well I've read that you can put them on the surface or bury them. But I will dig them up. I have a German Shepherd that might eat the potatoes if I lay them on the surface. He loves all kinds of people food.

Comment

• Minoo96
              Minoo96 commented
              Editing a comment
              Then bury them, if you heard it's ok! Just make sure you can find it back easily to throw it out! Otherwise I guess you're just helping the gnats to reproduce. I'm a noob remember that

How long was the vinegar on them before you washed it off ? Round-up doesn't show up real quick. I would keep trying like your doing and hope for the best Morlane ,I sure hate that man. Best of luck with them.
            Cfls for a week or two
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

It was on for about ten minutes. I'm just going to continue spraying them with water. I'll post if they start showing any ill effects.

Comment

Just think, first of all there is nothing you can do about it now, except wait and see. Secondly, you will be the GWE leading expert, with practical experience, in the effects of white vinegar on a plant.
                completed 7 grows
                what I have learned so far:
                environment maters more than nutrients
                at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
                effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• Minoo96
                  Minoo96 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Loool... The foremost expert.

Flockshot is right . Takes couple of days before it shows Maybe you got it ,sure hope so.
                Cfls for a week or two
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

This is my first grow, so it's all a new learning experience for me anyway. My gut feeling tells me that they will be alright. I just doused them again with water. I will definitely keep everyone updated.

Comment

• Minoo96
                    Minoo96 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wipe them off with tissue also maybe? Maybe too many leafs, too much work?

Hi mate. Everytime i have a issue with gnats i just let my medium dry out. Usually keeps it under control for me.

Comment

• Flockshot
                    Flockshot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, for sure, and put up some yellow cards to get the adults. It's about a 25 day life cycle, so plan on that long to get them all.

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never had too bad of a infestation where i needed to wait longer than a few days. Thanks for info though.

What kind of ratio did you use? I use white vinegar to adjust the ph of my water and I have sprayed them with it with no ill effects. I am sure the amount in 1 gallon water that I use is going to be alot weaker than your bug solution but if you got it all washed of within minutes you should be ok. I am curious though to hear what happens.Keep us posted

Comment

• morlane
                    morlane commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was a solution of about 1:4 vinegar/water, plus 1 tsp Dawn, made about one quart.

morlane I had fungus gnats in my hydro reservoir as well as flying around inside my grow box about 2 months back; gnatrol did the trick in about two or three applications. Just mixed it right in with the nutrients. I also laid down those yellow sticky pads in the box to get all the adults.
                  Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                  2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                  Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X