Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autos vs. Photos, Light and Nutrients

Hey,

I am about to start my first grow and would like to ask some questions before.

Why still grow Photoperiodic-Strains?
    The quality and amount of the harvest on Autos nowadays
    seems to be compareable to Photoperiod-Strains
    ( have a look at this strain: https://www.royalqueenseeds.de/123-c...automatic.html )
    In addition to that time from germanination to harvest is way faster on Autos.
    Besides beeing able to take clones from Photoperiodics and
    having more control over the final hight and shape of the plant
    ( more options on plant training... ) are there any other advantages on growing Photoperiodics?

Amount of buds to harvest
    As I understand the amount of buds to harvest depends mostly
    on the light available ( given all other factors are equal ).
    So with HPS ligthning I get about 0.5g - 1g per Watt / per grow whereas LEDS only produce
    0.5g / Real Watt. So to me it seems that the best way to go for me is HPS ligthning.
    Since I have a 0,60cm * 0,60cm grow space I would be best off with a 125 Watt HPS
    ( which means I could harvest about 60g to 120g in 3-4 months.
    If I were to grow in a Space Bucket via 4 X 23 Watt CFL I would harvest about 30g in 4 months.
    Are my assumptions correct?

HPS / MH vs only HPS
    Would it be a major drawback if I were to have a MH on the vegetative and flowering state
    compared to have a MH on the vegetative state and a HPS on the flowering state?

Hydro-Nutrients
    Since I can get them at a big discount I am planing to use Plagron Hydro A / Hydro B
    at a nutrient level of 75% of what Plagron is suggesting
    ( even though everyone seems to suggest General Hydroponics )
    I am going to germinate my seeds via the paper towel method and right afterwards
    planting the sprouted seed in a Rapid Rooter and place it into my DWC netcubs immediately.
    Can I go full monty on nutrients right from the beginning?

Thanks so much for your help; it is very much appreciated!
    Frank

One thing is that photos give you the ability to recover from a mistake. With an Auto, a serious mistake can lead to problems and you just have to try and deal with it right then, with a photo you can hold off on flowering get everything under control and the plant growing agiain before starting flowering.

The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
    Water Curing Experiment
    My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

Honestly a 150w hid will not flower the plants properly. u need min 400w also mh will flower a plant just fine. The upside to mh is co2 can only be uptaken by blue light and yes hps has blue in it but mh has a lot more, more co2 uptake equals more growth up2 1500ppm. Now hps makes ur buds by far denser than mh. So u gotta choice what u want I personaly use 2 different bulbs at once eye hortilux hps and solistek mh10k finisher. I have only done hydro once so I can't coment on the nutes for hydro much. I'm a soil person lol. I have exspereince with autos and photos and in my opinion is it depends on the grower autos are much easyier unless u kill leaves by defs because they can't recover and grow new leaves because they go into flower real quick. Over all autos are great they can grow huge yeilds I have personaly seen them equaly to photos. Autos can take a lot more abuse but can't go back into veg to recover. Photos are awesome because u can switch em back into veg to recover depending on length in flower. But photos are usualy more sensitive to nutes and temp/ ph flucuation. For yeild they both are close so that doesn't matter it's just the growing style and how much u fuck up. Also I dnt know if this has been proven but I personaly have seen a difference in light with autos if u grow with hps u flower sooner I had a auto flower in week 2 from seedling and if u grow with blue light mh I had one not flower till 2months. Like I said I dnt know if this has been proven just my exsperince. Also autos grow a lot smaller roughly 40inchs tall and 24inchs wide roughly when finished where a photo is much bigger. So to sum it all up autos take more accidents and forgives more but can't reveg to grow more lost leaves but can yeild just as high. Where photos grow bigger doesn't forrgive as quick but can re veg. So it depends on ur growing style.

Comment

This is my first grow i am growing photos 1 tall 1 short not my intention I wanted to grow all the same plant but I suck i killed 4 seeds in the beginning .
        So I chose photos because I really didn't know how a plant grew and I want to learn. So they are teaching me. Also I don't think I could have created such a big plant from an auto in the same time I'll be done 1 week under 3 months 3 week veg from seed, 8 weeks of flower hopefully but that's to been seen. I am going to grow autos next.
        It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer photos because at this point, there is still much more variety to choose from. Photos are going to get much bigger and allow for a much bigger harvest, as others have noted. I think it all depends on the tastes of the grower, setup, space, time, needs, etc. I also like to choose my own veg and flower timing. I don't mind the wait.

I also killed quite a few seeds on my first grow last summer; then you get the feel for it, as you keep learning more...

• GanjaGed
          GanjaGed commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer Photos myself. I been taking Auto's as my freebies though and am going to do some runs so that I'm familiar with them. In time it's likely the progression of my condition will make Autos a better option.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X